The Mercedes Benz Sprinter named as Glass’s Used Van Hero for November.
Each month, Glass’s Commercial Vehicle editors hold a meeting to name the current Used Van Hero in the UK market – the model they believe offers versatility, durability and outstanding value for money.
Andy Picton, Chief Commercial Vehicle Editor: “The omnipresent Mercedes-Benz Sprinter earns a place on the large panel van podium. Many fleets make this their vehicle of choice, whilst many SMEs aspire to owning one”.
Andy added, “The Sprinter, available in the UK for nearly 25 years, continues to grow in popularity. The range seemingly offers a solution for every occasion with a GVW covering 3 to 5 tonnes”.
In the demanding commercial vehicle market, the Sprinter range offers a multitude of combinations and variations to create an almost limitless range of vehicle options. With the availability of different wheelbases, van and chassis derivatives, engine power outputs, transmissions, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and four wheel drive the Sprinter continues to be the regular choice of fleets wanting reliability, realistic fuel economy and a refined drive.
WHEN WAS IT ON SALE?
Built in Dusseldorf, the first generation Mercedes-Benz Sprinter launched in 1995. Of note, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) became standard across the range from 2002.
Following in 2006, the second generation Sprinter was available in three different length wheelbases, from two to five tonnes. The mid-life update included engine, specification and safety enhancements.
Replaced by the current VS30 Sprinter range in 2018, this new model features for the first time, front wheel drive models, complementing the existing rear wheel drive and 4×4 models. The current range now totals over 1,700 variants.
- Excellent driving characteristics
- Wide range of body styles
- Durable engines
- Comfortable cabin
- Light and responsive steering
- ASSYST service computer, brings flexible servicing to the Sprinter
- Dealer network with some sites offering 24/7 open hours
- Lots of safety kit
- Excellent residual values for the best presented examples
- The kudos of the three pointed star can be expensive
- Seals around the high pressure injection system on the engine are known to fail
- Prop-shaft failure possible on higher mileage vehicles
- Known paint quality and bodywork corrosion issues
- Check condition of suspension, bushes, springs and dampers for wear
- Payload compromised for the biggest vans at 3.5 tonne
- Check the service history before purchasing
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 314 2.1CDI 140bhp LWB High Roof manual Euro 6 compliant 2017/67 plate with 43,000 miles
Glass’s Retail £17,050 Excl VAT
Glass’s Trade £15,025 Excl VAT