It's this easy...
- Text the car registration and the mileage with a space between each. e.g. AB60CDE 68000
- Send the text to 88744. Total cost £4 (2 x £2.00 messages) plus your standard network rate
- The Glass’s valuation is sent back to you on a text message
Your first message contains your detailed car information. Your second message includes your four values adjusted for mileage.
This service is billed with 2 x £2.00 messages plus your standard network rate. This is not a subscription service. To opt-out of marketing text STOP to 88744. Over 16 only. Service provided by Glass's Information Service Ltd. Service provider is MIG. Customer Service: 0870 248 0277. Terms and conditions apply.
The price of the car when it was first bought.
The Trade In price is the typical value for cars that would benefit from slight cosmetic work. It meets the following criteria:
- Might need to replace small removable parts; e.g. wiper blade, badge, number plate, etc.
- Might need to replace some large removable parts such as door mouldings
- Might need small to medium sized repairs of the bodywork (external cosmetics of the car), upholstery and trim (e.g. dashboards, seats, carpets, etc.).
- Repairs (excluding structural repairs) will have been completed to a high standard, and be acceptable to the expert eye.
- Cars will have been serviced in accordance with manufacturers’ guidelines
- A service history will be required
- The car has a minimum of 6 months MOT (where applicable)
- The car is roadworthy. All safety critical components (e.g. brakes, steering, suspension, tyres) should be road legal and functioning normally.
- The car must be returned to an unmarked condition. Windscreen may be chipped but not in driver’s line of sight.
- All documents, manuals and keys should accompany the car.
- The mileage must be warranted.
- The car must be free of major mechanical faults (see definition below).
Trade In assumes a condition that does not change with age.
Dealer Retail Price
The typical price advertised by Dealers (based on 4.0million retail asking observations a year); it is not necessarily the price a Dealer would actually market a car for, as it may be the subject of negotiation, discount, or an extra allowance on the value of your own vcar. It will also vary depending on any special offers applicable at the time, condition, length of warranty and any Standard Fit and Optional Extras that may be fitted.
The car condition would relate to the degree of Dealer preparation that was customary for a car of a given age. For cars under 3 years of age, it is assumed that cars are offered by franchised dealers and are prepared to manufacturers approved used car standards. The following represents the minimum requirements for any Dealer advertised car:
- The sold car must comply with Consumer Protection Regulations 2008, & Sale of Goods Act 1979.
- Be of sound provenance and offered with good title i.e. free of outstanding finance, not on police record as being stolen, and not on record with the DVLA or ABI as accident damaged.
- Warranted mileage.
- No accident damage. Repairs carried out to a high standard (i.e. not visible to the naked eye).
- All documentation complete (i.e. V5, current MOT (min 6 months).
- Full Service History for cars under 6 years of age.
- Recently serviced.
- If sold by a franchised dealer the car must be prepared to the approved used standards set by the manufacturer.
- Excludes Grey imports (also known as parallel imports).
Private Sales Price
Glass’s Private Sale price represents an estimated selling price for a car sold by one Private individual to another Private individual at a given time.
Private Sale prices apply to cars in good overall condition. It should satisfy the following criteria:
- It will carry the best part of a year’s MOT
- It should present itself well, with no obvious damage to bodywork
- Tyres and mechanical parts should all be in good condition
- All equipment should be fully operational
- In the case of cars under 3 years of age, the balance of the Manufacturer's warranty would also be included
The Private Sale price must always be adjusted for condition, whether better or worse. It is also important to note that there may still be differences due to colour, Standard Fit and Optional Extras, and variations in market conditions according to geographic area and so on.
MAJOR MECHANICAL FAULTS:
For all cars to meet the above trade definitions the following must apply.
- ENGINE: Free from undue noise, operating to manufacturer’s specifications and within legal emission limits. Free of damage and leakage with no evidence of excessive wear.
- COOLING SYSTEM: Operating to manufacturer’s specifications. Free from leakage and damage with cooling fans operating correctly.
- CHASSIS MEMBERS AND SUB FRAMES: Free from damage, defects and distortion. No evidence of repairs, corrosion or wear. All mountings and joints sound and free from damage or wear.
- TRANSMISSION: Operating to manufacturer’s specifications. Free from leakage and not requiring repair or adjustment.
- SUSPENSION AND STEERING: No evidence of wear, leakage or damage. All components operating to manufacturer’s specifications. Power steering components free of excessive noise and with no visible fluid leakage. All mountings and joints sound and free from damage or wear.
- STANDARD EQUIPMENT: All standard fitments intact and in operating condition.
- TYRES: Sound and having at least 3 mm of tread. Must comply with current Construction and Use regulations.